30 April, 2014

Journeyman Plumber

. Basically… There are two avenues Union or Non-union and both systems are workable. You should find an employer who will take on an apprentice to get into the non-union sector but make sure the employer sends you to school all year. The apprenticship takes 5 years in Canada after which you become a journyman. The Union way is similar but you need to go to a Union Training Co-ordinator or through the Government. Union also requires you to take extra courses to upgrade and improve your worth. Gasfitting is included in the course but is a separate exam so you do not need to be a gasfitter to get your plumbing. This is in Canada. The US is a bit different in the course materials and specialization. An apprenticeship is a contract between the Government, the contractor/employer and you. You can take the courses a little each yr as and an Apprentiship or you can challenge the exams and write them. You still have to put in the time but you have already passed the exam so you are set. In Canada we have provincial and inter provincial tickets. The inter provincial allow you to plumb in any province and the provincial only in the province it is for. With the provincial you would have to write another exam in the province you wish to work in but not with the interprovincial.

About The Author


1 Comment

  1. J. Richards328 April 29, 2014 at 12:07 am #
    The process in the US is similar to the one that NotRobin describes. First of all, you will contact the JATC (Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee) and in many cases take a written entry exam. If you pass the test, you will contact a contractor and get hired on as an apprentice. The JATC will give you the steps to get enrolled in day and night classes that will be required. Your apprenticeship will be 5 years of on-the-job training and school, at the end of which you will take your state exam. You will be a journeyman at that point, but if you wish you can take the exam to become a master plumber. As a master, you can become a contractor and pull permits for jobs you do. Hope this helps.