28 January, 2014


The roofer we chose will be the only person up there on the roof. I was wondering what insurance he should be carrying? This is for a small, two-story house. After speaking to others on the web, I found the answer. A Residential roofer would have to General Liability Coverage. This protects you from Damages do to his negligence from Bodily injury and property damage. If the roofer fails to properly Tarp and protect the roof (during construction) during inclement weather and water comes in and damages you insulation and Drywall then you would have a claim against his Liability coverage. If His ladder falls over and dents your car. . Then this is a claim under his Liability. If he injuries someone (ie: Roofing material falls off the roof and hits you on the head. Then this is a liability claim. As a Sole proprietor. It is not necessary to have Workers comp however, it is advisable to have a contract agreeing that you are held harmless for any injury that would happen during the project. He ould have a written estimate to you and on this would be a payment plan. I would not pay more than 1/2 of the Bid up front and pay the other half only after you have inspected his work and it satisfactory. DON'T pay in full until YOU are satisfied. Get a certificate of insurance from him showing a current policy with at least $300,000 of liability per occurrence. I would also recommend getting referrals from him of other homes he has done and call those people on his workmanship.

This short video highlights the day-to-day activities you might expect to encounter when you are a Roofer. For more information, visit the pages listed below. . .

About The Author



  1. Jasmine X1 January 27, 2014 at 4:38 am #
    Bonding insurance and check Allstate.
  2. Marcalo Fujiyama365 January 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm #
    Workers compensation and general liability. He should also agree in writing to be responsible for all damage and to hold you harmless for any damage or injury.